Psyllium husk is the ultimate fiber supplement to enhance fullness while providing you with sustained energy levels throughout the day. Consuming psyllium can help you feel satiated from fewer calories, eat less food throughout the day, and lose weight without fighting against hunger. These appetite-reducing properties can contribute to a decrease in BMI, an increase in fat loss, and a flatter stomach.
How Does Psyllium Husk Help to Lose Weight?
The reason psyllium has this effect is because when you mix it with water, it swells up to 10 times its original size. Hence, consuming it fills your stomach and reduces hunger. Once in the stomach, psyllium's spongy soluble fiber slows down fat and glucose from entering into the small intestine. In this way, fat and glucose (both primary energy sources) enter the small intestine over an extended period, leaving you with sustained energy while also feeling satiated. This “sustained” delivery of nutrients is one of the many amazing feats of soluble fibers like psyllium.
Psyllium Husk and Intermittent Fasting
For those who follow an intermittent fasting diet, psyllium husk is a great supplement to stay full and reduce hunger. Will psyllium husk break a fast? No. The reason why is because consuming psyllium husk doesn't cause an insulin reaction. Instead, it limits hunger and improves your digestive system during the fast. So under most intermittent fasting methods, it is a supplement you can take without "breaking" your fast.
While a supplement like Sylly contains 4g of carbs per serving, it's important to note that these calories come in the form of indigestible, soluble fiber. That means that these carbs have a very different effect on your blood sugar than, say if these carbs came from a sugar snack.
Absorbs Calories: When taken with a meal, psyllium's gel-like structure traps and absorbs a portion of glucose (sugar) for the duration of digestion - exiting it out of your body before it can do any harm.
Boosts Metabolism: Your body can't digest psyllium husk fiber, but it attempts to, burning calories in the process. Additionally, psyllium boosts metabolism by clearing your colon and improving overall gut function, in turn burning fat.
Multiple studies have demonstrated significant weight loss with the addition of psyllium husk to the diet. Furthermore, these studies also showed sustained, progressive weight loss over time and no weight regain during the latter months of the program.
100% organic, non-GMO whole husk sylly is an excellent fiber supplement as part of your weight management routine.
Sylly Tip: As part of your weight management routine, drink Sylly with warm water and a few drops of lemon in it, either before or in between meals. If you intermittent fast, consume one Sylly Stick during the long stretch to keep full!
- Satiety Effects of Psyllium in Healthy Volunteers
- Evidence-Based Approach to Fiber Supplements and Clinically Meaningful Health Benefits
- Correlation between Echographic Gastric Emptying and Appetite: Influence of Psyllium
- The Effect of a Plantago Ovata Seed Containing Preparation on Appetite Variables, Nutrient and Energy Intake
- Effect of Psyllium on Gastric Emptying, Hunger Feeling and Food Intake in Normal Volunteers: a Double Blind Study
- Effect on Body Weight and Composition in Overweight/Obese Australian Adults over 12 Months Consumption of Two Different Types of Fibre Supplementation in a Randomized Trial
- Psyllium Improves Dyslipidaemia, Hyperglycaemia and Hypertension, while Guar Gum Reduces Body Weight More Rapidly in Patients Affected by Metabolic Syndrome Following an AHA Step 2 Diet